(In this section AGE POWER, we have posted six articles so far, all of them from seniors. Here is the first article from a youngster, and he gives a completely different flavor to this section. Enjoy reading this and share your thoughts in the comments below. – Editor)
Do you know what the best and worst thing about old age is? We all know the worst, let’s concentrate on the best thing which nobody wants to discuss. In due course of a lifetime, we all come across people of distinct age, and the most usual type is those who are known as senior citizens. Shattered dreams, smile less faces and tired (and retired) shoulders.
Let us discuss what we should, to increase the wavelength of those oldie smiles. The writer believes that old age is a boon to mankind, and the following pointers backups the statement.
- They are the best Storytellers: – The old-age persons are the best storytellers. Their stories are full of conviction, zeal and enthusiasm. They come across a long way to join the storytellers’ league, and they are the best in the business.
- They keep you Engaged: – No matter what situation you go through, granny or grandpa will always keep you engaged in some unusual things. They demand what they desire, but they bless and support you like anything. In a nutshell, senior citizens are the best pals of the Gen Next.
- They are the Experience: – Old age people are our best source of information. You need No Book or the Internet if you have a senior citizen at home. They are well-versed with socio-religious issues and can brief you on what is happening around society.
- Experts in their Domain: – They crossed the long English Channel of experience that made them the best artist of their domain. Their artistry is not constraint up to office spaces only. They enlighten the youth as well. They are the best traders of their specific trades.
- Teachers (without B.Ed): – Senior Citizens can teach what we can’t expect. They teach us good practices, better alternatives and result-oriented ways to reach our destinations. They are really highly beneficial for any community or nation.
- Trouble Shooters: – The senior citizens are supposed to be the troubleshooters of the family or society. They can settle the angry relatives. They can resolve any family matter and stop it from reaching the local courts. Thus a family saver or a troubleshooter is the role they play at best.
- They are the Laughing Buddha of a family: – The senior citizens are the mood setters of a family. These people are full of light and a comic sense of conversation. They can end up the long history of the cold war between mama Ji and papa Ji. They are the real laughing buddha of our families.
- Real Identities of Us: – The old age people are what we come from. They are our real identities. We are known to be their child. We are from their village. We learn and study them.
- Connects us to Nature: – Our grandpa or grannies are the ones who always brought us to the park or nearby serene location. They are our initial gurus to the riverfronts, mountains and cool breeze or cuckoo birds and her chirping voice. We need to embrace them as hard as we can.
- They introduce us to our Religious Roots: – Our grandpa or grannies are the ones who made us know the stories of our religion. They made us realize the real sense of religion and keep the tread of it intact within us.
Our old age people are our heritage. We need to hold them back tightly. It is our duty to make them smile all the time and value their experience with which they have come along.
They need love, care and respect. No money or physical amenities can make them smile, as we can. Let us take a pledge to make this heritage laugh, smile and shine.
With a Masters Degree in Human Resources (Minors), he is an excellent communicator. With a passion in writing, in both Hindi and English, he is a blogger, and his articles have been published in Opindia and Kreately.